Minutes for Committee Meeting 1-11-17

Discussion in 'News & Announcements (2017-2018)' started by BlueGandalf, Nov 2, 2017.

  1. BlueGandalf

    BlueGandalf Committee Staff Member

    Messages:
    228
    Likes Received:
    156
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Steam:
    BleuGandalf
    Minutes for Committee Meeting

    Date: 1-11-17
    Time:19.00 Meeting Started: 19.04
    Location: Library Group Study Room 4A

    Attendees:
    Previous Meeting Actions:
    Name Description Result
    Will Talk to Sam about Liquid Nitrogen, Esports Officer, IGM, Snapchat. There will not be Liquid Nitrogen. Snapchat was fine, though nothing actually happened/went through. We'll try and get it again for November. Sam is fine with the role rename to esports officer. We'll send him the IGM details (see below) and he'll sort it out.
    Will Continue to spam departmental and freshers groups - especially engineering, physics and maths. Done. Will do again for November LAN starting Next week.
    Will Pursue sponsorship talks with Parvum. Ongoing
    Will Chase up Red Bull guy about Red Bull. Done.
    Will Book the Van for November LAN Done.
    Will Talk to Abby about Hypesquad stuff. Done.
    Vinay Book the Societies camera Done. There's now an online booking form. Will to book societies camera for future events.
    Vinay To find a driver to help pick up McDonalds on Sunday. Done.
    Vinay Depending on Red Bull, change Monster amounts (or create 2 lists) Done
    Vinay Sort old Pound coins out of Not Money Done.
    Vinay Organise Stash To be done this week. Belowed.
    Vinay Get Sophie's SD card from Sam. Done.
    Vinay Help Zack put the timetable together Done.
    Jakub Test WAPs Tested. They work, and you can sign in to the network. However, the firewall stops you being able to authenticate yourself, and some other minor problems. Jakub and Loiuis to rework Auth to make them work..
    Jakub Chase up email permissions Not Done - belowed. 'I'll do that at some point';
    Louis/Jakub Try and find Nintendo ID password, by messaging Deniz Deniz has no clue. Try the 'forgot password'? Wei replied, so some headway has been made. Belowed.
    Peter Bring bin bags Done.
    Peter Consider alternate minutes formats on different platforms. Done. Talked about below.
    Kareem Talk to DMU gaming soc (the non-esports one) No response yet. Kareem will continue to work his way down the list of people.
    Kareem Add LoL worlds to the timetable Done.
    Kareem Start brainstorming tournaments for November LAN Done. Talked about below.
    Jakub Continue to document stuff in the Tech Handbook Ongoing


    Finance
    Internal: £715.98
    Paypal: £11.30
    Not Money: £0.00
    • Vinay to cash in Not Money.
    • Internal Statement does not yet include memberships or Not Money, and Tuck Shop/Prizes haven't yet been taken out.
    • LAN Finance Breakdown:
    • snip_20171101222216.png
    • Loss of £504.08 isn't bad, seen as we're taking into account free tickets for members.
    • Taking into account the memberships bought by people who claimed Member tickets, we have made a substantial profit.
    Tech Stuff
    Forums
    • jk.
    • Apparently the talk about actually getting rid of the forums last week was a joke. Oops. There's some real problems with them, but getting rid of the forums isn't currently feasible.
    • We can't feasibly get rid of the forums, they're too integral to how our systems work.
    • There's some issues such as 'drama' and arguments, which isn't ideal, but isn't necessarily the fault of the forums themselves.
    • We will leave them alone for now.
    FoL
    • We are reducing FoL's access to members area on the forums. However, we will be moving some things from the members area to the non-members area, and vice versa. This is because of the Union's rules and Vinay has been pushing for it as Union representative.
    • Being a FoL on the forums will grant you the ability to post without moderation, but you cannot see the members area.
    • The members area will contain the following sub-forums: Society Discussion, Introductions, Election Archive, Tech Talk and Society Game Servers, Off the Wall and Documents. Everything else will be moved to the Non-member area, as it being public is fine.
    • LAN Archive sub-forum (which only committee can see) will be moved to the Archive forum.
    • A new Meetings forum will be created specifically for Minutes and Agendas. This is because the current system of Agenda being posted under Events and Minutes under News and Announcements can be confusing. It's the way it's been done in the past, but this change will make it clearer. This forum will only be available to members.
    • The definition of FoL across our platforms is generally 'anyone who is interested'.
    Discord
    • People with the Freshers Role will now be given the FoL role on Discord.
    Minutes
    • Minutes need to be shared more publicly among our members. A message and link to be posted to the Discord.
    Gaming Stuff
    MNG
    • Minecraft
    NUEL
    • Overwatch team LU Press Q is 3rd!
    • League team Teamy McTeamface is 8th!
    • CS:GO Team north lufborea is 17th!
     
  2. BlueGandalf

    BlueGandalf Committee Staff Member

    Messages:
    228
    Likes Received:
    156
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Steam:
    BleuGandalf
    Past Events
    LAN Feedback
    I won't be quoting directly from the LAN Feedback thread as that would make the minutes even longer than they have to be. Instead I'll summarise the feedback (bad and good) and then detail the committee response.

    Scaletrix
    • There was a lack of interest, perhaps some advertisement wouldn't have gone amiss to boost the activity.
    • The committee feels that it wasn't our event to boost, as such. We agreed that Hilt and Zack could build it and bring it to LAN, but we didn't necessarily agree to advertise and promote it as if it were our own, and we were generally unaware that it was expected of us to do so.
    • If Zack and Hilt want to run it in a more official capacity, we'd be happy to talk it through with them.
    LAN Van
    • Ran to time, everything went pretty smoothly. The LAN timetable was posted pretty late on the Thursday, could have been posted earlier.
    • As LAN Van is a free service we run to pick up your PCs at any time, Vinay wants to trial a new system at November LAN. Will be detailed below.
    Draft
    • Went well. Pretty good turnout, ran smoothly. Nice one Michael :D
    1000 Blank White Cards
    • Went well. Pretty good turnout, ran smoothly. Nice one Will :D
    • Will probably be run again at November, with minor tweaks.
    Overwatch 3v3
    • Went well. Pretty good turnout, ran smoothly. Nice one Kareem :D
    Tekken
    • Went well. Pretty good turnout, ran smoothly. Nice one Arya :D
    Welcome Talk
    • Went on a bit too long, we will compress slides and push through it to make it quicker.
    Iron LAN
    • 8 player cutoff after Round 1 seemed too harsh, and discouraged some people from even attempting it.
    • Kareem will trial a 16-player cutoff, but is concerned that it'll be 'easy' to make the cut then, which isn't the point of the rounds.
    Big Screen
    • Utilised well, streaming, Worlds and presentation done well.
    • Presentation could be updated more often by committee.
    Quiz
    • Very well done. Nice one Jakub and Kareem. Good luck Will on topping it.
    Overcooked
    • Went well. Pretty good turnout, ran slightly chaotically, but was good fun. Nice one Will :D
    • Varying maps could have been a nice idea, something to keep in mind for next time.
    D&D
    • Went well. Pretty good turnout, ran smoothly. Nice one Hilt, Zack, James and Steve :D
    • Tried out a new way of playing that was very good and fun (and it doesn't clash with Werewolves).
    Vive
    • Very good and was active almost constantly throughout the weekend.
    • A negative atmosphere seemed to come up around it towards the end as several people got huge scores gained through controversial tactics. We don't think this is committee's fault, necessarily, as the level was play-tested for an hour. The tactics were only found and subsequently used after 5+ hours of play. This did impact others who wanted to play, but couldn't as it was already in use, and so any committee will, in future, be justified in upholding the golden rule of 'don't be a dick', and making sure everyone gets a go, and there's no excessive amounts of play when others are interested/waiting.
    • A waiting list may be an idea to think about also.
    Turnout
    • Pretty good, pretty good. 128 tickets activated, 142 claimed. Some of those not activated still came to LAN and walked around and used consoles etc, rather than actually sitting down with a computer.
    Internet Problems
    • Most of the issues were either minor, or were auth-based, due to too many auth requests at once. There's a tactic or two Jakub knows to counter this, such as having internet ready before Welcome talk, allowing people to authenticate, then turning the internet off during Welcome Talk.
    Red Bull
    • A brilliant success. We're trying to bring them to November LAN as well.
    Music
    • As always, we have feedback of all kinds - too loud, perfect volume, etc. Music is one of those things that we can turn it down/change it if you come and ask, but it's different for everyone, so we're not immediately going to know if there's a problem.
    • We'll have a timetable for pre-planned music at November LAN.
    • We did talk about other options suggested, such as festify.rocks, but decided against it for now as there's still the possibility of a grouop of people rigging it with memes, and in our feedback the music choice wasn't criticised as much as the volume.
    • The computer kept going to sleep, which is why music kept stopping. At November LAN, we'll use LANBox to play music.
    Food
    • Forgot IRN Bru on Tuck shop. Won't happen again. o7
    McDonalds
    • We made a loss of £20 on McDonalds.
    • The McMuffins had to be up-marketed to try and break even on them. It also made the change easier to handle (£2.50 rather than £2.19), though that's a handy side-effect.
    Sliced
    • Sliced arrived in multiple batches, the slices were larger than normal and it was a bit late.
    • The guy who used to run Sliced has moved elsewhere and the new guy doesn't speak very good English, which makes it difficult. Also we have to rely on members to collect it, which isn't ideal.
    Dominos
    • Went smoothly. Nice one Vinay :D
    Setup
    • New power diagram isn't great, was there a need to change it? The length of the reels is omitted, but isn't necessary in Jakub's opinion.
    • That said, Jakub recognised there were problems with his diagram, so we'll be using the old one starting next LAN
    • Some of the pillars on C/D were a bit overloaded (though all were fitted with surge protectors).
    • We had a large amount of people turn up early, to which none were explicitly turned away or asked to come back/wait, which led to many just milling around by the entrance. This isn't good, and sign-in people should have a plan in place for people who turn up after set-up has begun. At some point, too many people helping with set up is too many. There is a new way we'll be trialling at November (detailed below).
    • Louis also has an idea to improve setup (to be heard after November LAN).
     
    Jupiterian likes this.
  3. BlueGandalf

    BlueGandalf Committee Staff Member

    Messages:
    228
    Likes Received:
    156
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Steam:
    BleuGandalf
    Future Events
    Interim General Meeting
    • This will be run on Tuesday 14th November in the evening.
    • Will to book J.001.
    • At the meeting, candidates for the positions of Vice Technical Officer and Esports Officer will be asked to give a short presentation, followed by a question period. Then over the next week, they are encouraged to 'campaign' (this includes during LAN). Online voting for the positions will close the following Tuesday.
    November LAN
    • We need to buy hoover bags.
    • Blank White Cards will be making it's return.
    • Quiz, but Will and Jakub.
    • LAN Van is booked. NB: Vinay wants to trial a new system, in which we can more easily pick things up and provide the LAN VAN service, albeit not as conveniently. We will assign Campus pick-ups from 5-6pm, College area pick-ups for 6-7pm, Town for 7-8pm (times provisional). It makes timetabling a lot simpler, and should still be fine, as lectures will likely have finished by 5pm, there shouldn't be clashes. This is a new system we are trialling.
    • Peter to organise prizes.
    • Tuck Shop to be decided/sorted next week, but as a preliminary we'll say Peter's paying for it.
    • Will to pursue more Red Bull.
    • Peter to look into Freebies.
    • Vinay to talk to Barnie about Visitor Tickets.
    • Vinay to come up with a LAN Budget.
    • If we can organise visitor tickets, we can also run a Fireside Gathering at November LAN.
    • Instead of Dominos, Vinay was thinking about trialling Mario's Pizza instead, as it is not only nicer but will offer better discounts (and it fits with Compsoc better, eh?). We probably won't change it this LAN as we're already trialling a lot of things.
    • Kareem will be trialling a 16-player cut-off in Iron LAN, though as it's already 2-player teams (meaning 32 people(!) go into Round 2), this decision may be changed at a later date.
    Setup at this LAN will be different, trialling a new system (November rhymes with 'experimentation', doesn't it??), where we don't reach out for helpers.
    • At Summer LAN, we nailed it and that was with only 4 people. The idea is for committee to sort out power and fibre as they understand how it works and should be able to do it quickly.
    • Anyone who comes in early will, if needed, be asked to help: move tables, move boxes, trunk wires, or unreel reels. Otherwise, they'll be asked to wait in the D block, or Quiz room.
    • This means that no comfy chairs will be given out except to committee and drivers who help us. Balcony will be blocked off.
    • We'll use the old power diagram as the main one.

    Tournaments include

    • League of Legends 1v1s.
    • Vive Tournament: Space Pirate Trainer
    • Mortal Kombat (version tbc.)
    • 2-player Iron LAN. You enter as a pair, you play as a pair, you win as a pair. Pick your partner wisely.
    Updated Plan:

    Tue 14th November- Interim General Meeting
    • Will to send Sam information
    • Peter to inform membership
    17th-19th November- LAN 66
    • Ed to make a LAN Banner
    24th November- Console Night
    • Will to message Brett about it. Kareem to organise drivers for it.
    25th November- RAWS Megagame?
    1st December- Whiteboard Social
    • 5/9 Committee want to run and be at the whiteboard social, with only one committee being against it.
    • Anni to look into booking a room.
    8th-10th December- Christmas LAN 67
    Thu 14th December- Christmas Social- Hop Loft Night
    Anni to look into Christmas Meal.

    Any Other Business:
    • Kareem
    Kareem is very good at his job. He advertises, promotes, then runs tournaments to success. His trolling, booing, and references to his penis though are less well received. Techsoc weren't impressed by his booing at Welcome talk, nor were Gliding impressed after SocSport. None of it is said in order to cause offence, however not everybody sees the humour. There are times that memeing and such aren't appreciated and actually hinder the society - such as any time you represent the society and act as a public image of it.

    Kareem has been given an official warning.

    Meeting Closed: 21:33
     
  4. BlueGandalf

    BlueGandalf Committee Staff Member

    Messages:
    228
    Likes Received:
    156
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Steam:
    BleuGandalf
    Actions:
    Name Description Timeframe
    Will Send Sam IGM details. ASAP
    Will Ask Sam about the snapchat for November LAN Before November LAN
    Will Pursue sponsorship talks with Parvum Ongoing
    Will Book societies camera for future events Over the next week
    Will Book J.001 for the IGM Over the next week.
    Will Pursue sponsorship talks with Red Bull Over the next few weeks
    Will Message Brett and CompSci about Console Night on the 24th Nov Over the next few days.
    Will/Jakub Write Quiz for November LAN Over the next few weeks.
    Vinay Organise Stash Over the next week.
    Vinay Cash in Not Money Over the next week
    Vinay Talk to Barnie about Visitor tickets Over the next week.
    Vinay Come up with a LAN Budget Over the next week.
    Jakub/Louis Rework Auth to make the WAPs widely usable. Over the next few weeks.
    Jakub Chase up email permissions Over the next few weeks.
    Jakub/Louis Try and the Nintendo ID email and password Over the next few weeks.
    Jakub/Louis Reduce FoL’s access to the member’s area on the forums Over the next week.
    Jakub/Louis Move sub-forums from members area to the non-members area. Over the next week.
    Jakub/Louis Create a new Meetings forum. Over the next week.
    Jakub/Louis Change people with the Fresher role on Discord to FoL. Over the next week.
    Kareem Talk to DMU gaming soc (the non-esports one). Continue working your way down the list. Over the next few weeks
    Kareem Organise drivers for console night Over the next week.
    Jakub Continue to document stuff in the Tech Handbook Ongoing.
    Peter Post Minutes link to new channel in Discord for Minutes Over the next week.
    Peter Organise Prizes Over the next week or so
    Peter Look into freebies Over the next week or so.
    Peter Inform membership of IGM Today
    Edward Make a LAN Banner Over the next few days.
    Anni Look into booking the Christmas Meal at Tobys Over the next few weeks.
    Anni Look into booking a room for the whiteboard social Over the next few days.
     
    Reakkor and Darkchaos like this.
  5. SissyRabbit

    SissyRabbit LSUCS Member

    Messages:
    2,418
    Likes Received:
    1,273
    Trophy Points:
    113
    was not-not money not separated into tuckshop, sliced and mcds?
     
    MetalMichael likes this.
  6. zackpollard

    zackpollard LSUCS Member

    Messages:
    283
    Likes Received:
    117
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Steam:
    zackpollard
    When I mentioned in the LAN Feedback thread that there was no advertisement of it, I wasn't saying it as if I expected there to be, more that in future it would be nice if we could get that sorted somehow. I would be up for organising it in some official way, if committee are interested in that, lets get that sorted for November LAN!
     
    BlueGandalf likes this.
  7. zackpollard

    zackpollard LSUCS Member

    Messages:
    283
    Likes Received:
    117
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Steam:
    zackpollard
    Just out of interest, would it be a better idea to potentially take orders for this kind of stuff like is done for dominos/angies? That way you know what people want, and you already have the money for it. Plus, you can then sell it nearer to cost as you aren't going to overstock. I like the idea of the mcdonalds, just seems it needs a re-think for future LAN. (Also, the announcement that it was cold and would need re-microwaving kind of put me off buying any at freshers LAN, not really sure how to avoid that in future)
     
    SissyRabbit likes this.
  8. Akamatsu

    Akamatsu Committee Staff Member

    Messages:
    236
    Likes Received:
    289
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Adding them to the LAN website is super easy, so if @Vinnstar321 is up for it we can totally do this.
     
    Reakkor likes this.
  9. Vinnstar321

    Vinnstar321 Committee Staff Member

    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    95
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Steam:
    vinnstar
    Slice broke even so didn't put it there. And I didn't get an accurate value for McDonald's so I excluded that
     
  10. Vinnstar321

    Vinnstar321 Committee Staff Member

    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    95
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Steam:
    vinnstar
    Main problem with McDonald's is that they don't deliver. I need to find a company that delivers breakfast. Any ideas??? I don't know Loughborough as well as you guys!
     
  11. zackpollard

    zackpollard LSUCS Member

    Messages:
    283
    Likes Received:
    117
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Steam:
    zackpollard
    Had a quick look and found this one, they do breakfast stuff, might be worth getting in contact with them to see if they do some kind of a deal although these prices aren't half bad standard anyways :)
    Screenshot_20171103-081329.png
    Screenshot_20171103-081336.png
     
    SissyRabbit likes this.
  12. Vinnstar321

    Vinnstar321 Committee Staff Member

    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    95
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Steam:
    vinnstar
    I'll try contacting these guys. I also have a few more companies I wanted to contact (greggs, tobies, ...)
     
    Reakkor and zackpollard like this.
  13. Myaumix

    Myaumix LSUCS Member

    Messages:
    1,155
    Likes Received:
    723
    Trophy Points:
    113
    [​IMG]
     
  14. Myaumix

    Myaumix LSUCS Member

    Messages:
    1,155
    Likes Received:
    723
    Trophy Points:
    113
    How do these people attend setup and thus get comfy chairs? Is this really necessary, given that LAN Van has existed without this caveat for many many years, or are you just being lazy and impacting the society members' experience to make life that little bit easier for yourself?

    edit: worth noting people also do things after lectures besides go back to their homes and play video games. Sport, general socialising, etc. This new system doesn't seem very well thought through, there's a reason LAN Van gives the option to select what time is most desirable.
     
    SissyRabbit and Exohain like this.
  15. Exohain

    Exohain Honourable

    Messages:
    2,997
    Likes Received:
    1,361
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Steam:
    Exohain
    This seems like a shit system designed to inconvenience the society members, who you're all supposed to be working to give the best experience, just to make your lives a bit easier when it comes to planning. Fuck that noise. What happens if someone on campus goes swimming at 5:30 on Fridays, so usually requests getting it picked up at 6:30. Are you going to tell him he has to get his pc ready for the time or not at all? that seems really inflexible.

    Subjectively nicer. Dominos is shit but Mario's is only good when shitfaced, and even then it's not good. I'd poll the society before making changes.

    Summer LAN is nowhere near the same as november LAN, but good luck.

    Ok so you probably don't need to announce it every hour or anything, but I missed the welcome talk (was it even mentioned there?) and never heard it mentioned, and that's just dumb. It's something being set up at an event you're running, it makes sense that you should probably do a bit of advertising for it, right?

    For all previous Iron LANs the cut has been there pretty much to ensure that there is a limit going into the second round, hardly ever hit. Generally if you competed in the high score section you got through. This may have been because both first and second rounds were usually played at your own pc, so you don't need to schedule so much moving around, but yeah. I think most people would prefer to get the opportunity to play more than a single player round.

    SURGE protectors don't protect against overloading... They protect against power surges, as the name would fucking suggest. They're there to protect your equipment from a surge in power at the outlet, not from some stupid fucker plugging too much stuff in.
     
    Fluff, SissyRabbit and Jupiterian like this.
  16. Jupiterian

    Jupiterian LSUCS Member

    Messages:
    240
    Likes Received:
    130
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Looks like they have no vegetarian, and their breakfasts all have pork too
     
    Reakkor and Fluff like this.
  17. SissyRabbit

    SissyRabbit LSUCS Member

    Messages:
    2,418
    Likes Received:
    1,273
    Trophy Points:
    113
    ??? concern
    mcdonald's was only meat option right? and with pizza celiac/lacto/vegan people can't eat it so you're always excluding someone

    we used to do a breakfast order the same as you're suggesting, 5 people would order, 3 would actually be there to collect it. i'm not sure it's worth your effort

    i won't go into why doing that with lan van is a bad idea but gl
     
    Fluff and Exohain like this.
  18. SissyRabbit

    SissyRabbit LSUCS Member

    Messages:
    2,418
    Likes Received:
    1,273
    Trophy Points:
    113
    old system was everything cash wise from tuck shop would be rubber banded, and/or any cash from other means would be put in a bag/envelope, this meant that when cashing up sliced/the mtg draft weren't being included in your count

    i'm kind of concerned they weren't separated, since now you can't give an accurate loss on things like mcdonald's, and if it's all mixed up together how're you supposed to do a tuck shop count, and have it be accurate? the society's funds aren't healthy, and not having information to where money has gone means threads like this happen
     
    Exohain likes this.
  19. Vinnstar321

    Vinnstar321 Committee Staff Member

    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    95
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Steam:
    vinnstar
    Sorry, I kind of forgot about the veggie stuff... I dunno how, since I am a veggie
     
    Reakkor and Jupiterian like this.
  20. SissyRabbit

    SissyRabbit LSUCS Member

    Messages:
    2,418
    Likes Received:
    1,273
    Trophy Points:
    113
    what
    what rules? last time this was in the minutes it was 'oh joe doesn't think it's a problem anymore'
    this? since members can see that, having lan feedbacks available is nice
    :<
    nooooooooooooooooo use lan box to have party games, you can plug any old laptop/misty/glados in for music
    :<
    no
    on your own? gl
    this just makes me not want to come, i come to set up, normally do a row and i'm good, i don't turn up to be ordered around to do purely manual labour whilst committee does all the easy shit. we follow your lead and if you're not pulling your weight i for certain don't want to
    events office upstairs in the union, ask at the desk if you can't find it, don't email him he won't respond


    [​IMG]
    when ticket pls

    now that i'm filled with sadness from some of the points above, i'd like to make my second request for discouragement from the forums
     
    Fluff likes this.

Share This Page